Commonwealth of Virginia Controlled Substance - Schedule III
54.1-3449. Placement of substance in Schedule III
The Board shall place a substance in Schedule III if it finds that:
- The substance has a potential for abuse less than the substances listed in Schedules I and II;
- The substance has currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States; and
- Abuse of the substance may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.
54.1-3450. Schedule III
The controlled substances listed in this section are included in Schedule III:
1. Unless specifically exempted or listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a depressant effect on the central nervous system:
Any substance which contains any quantity of a derivative of barbituric acid, or any salt of a derivative of barbituric acid, except those substances which are specifically listed in other schedules;
Any compound, mixture or preparation containing amobarbital, secobarbital, or pentobarbital or any salt of amobarbital, secobarbital, or pentobarbital and one or more other active medicinal ingredients which are not listed in Schedules II through V;
Any suppository dosage form containing amobarbital, secobarbital, or pentobarbital or any salt of amobarbital, secobarbital, or pentobarbital and approved by the Food and Drug Administration for marketing only as a suppository;
Any drug product containing gamma hydroxybutyric acid, including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers, for which an application is approved under section 505 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. § 355);
Ketamine, its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers (some other names: [+-] -2-[2-chlorophenyl]-2-[methylamino]-cyclohexanone);
Lysergic acid amide;
Perampanel [2-(2-oxo-1-phenyl-5-pyridin-2-yl-1,2-dihydropyridin-3-yl) benxonitrile], including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers;
Tiletamine-zolazepam combination product or any salt thereof.
3. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule:
a. Any material, compound, mixture, or preparation containing any of the following narcotic drugs or their salts thereof: Buprenorphine.
b. Any material, compound, mixture, or preparation containing limited quantities of any of the following narcotic drugs, or any salts thereof:
Not more than 1.8 grams of codeine, or any of its salts, per 100 milliliters or not more than 90 milligrams per dosage unit, with an equal or greater quantity of an isoquinoline alkaloid of opium;
Not more than 1.8 grams of codeine, or any of its salts, per 100 milliliters or not more than 90 milligrams per dosage unit, with one or more active, nonnarcotic ingredients in recognized therapeutic amounts;
Not more than 1.8 grams of dihydrocodeine, or any of its salts, per 100 milliliters or not more than 90 milligrams per dosage unit, with one or more active, nonnarcotic ingredients in recognized therapeutic amounts;
Not more than 300 milligrams of ethylmorphine, or any of its salts, per 100 milliliters or not more than 15 milligrams per dosage unit, with one or more ingredients in recognized therapeutic amounts;
Not more than 500 milligrams of opium per 100 milliliters or per 100 grams, or not more than 25 milligrams per dosage unit, with one or more active, nonnarcotic ingredients in recognized therapeutic amounts;
Not more than 50 milligrams of morphine, or any of its salts, per 100 milliliters or per 100 grams with one or more active, nonnarcotic ingredients in recognized therapeutic amounts.
4. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a stimulant effect on the central nervous system, including its salts, isomers (whether optical, position, or geometric), and salts of such isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:
5. The Board may except by regulation any compound, mixture, or preparation containing any stimulation or depressant substance listed in subsection A from the application of all or any part of this chapter if the compound, mixture, or preparation contains one or more active medicinal ingredients not having a stimulant or depressant effect on the central nervous system, and if the admixtures are included therein in combinations, quantity, proportion, or concentration that vitiate the potential for abuse of the substances which have a stimulant or depressant effect on the central nervous system.
6. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation containing any quantity of the following substances, including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:
Anabolic steroids, including, but not limited to:
Boldione (androsta-1, 4-diene-3, 17-dione);
Clostebol (4-Chlorotestosterone)(Chlorotestosterone)(4-chloro-17beta-hydr oxyandrost-4-en-3-one);
Dehydrochloromethyltestosterone (4-chloro-17beta-hydroxy-17alpha-methyl-androst-1,4-dien-3-one) ;
Delta1-dihydrotestosterone (1-testosterone) (17beta-hydroxy-5alpha-androst-1-en-3-one);
Desoxymethyltestosterone (madol) (17alpha-methyl-5alpha-androst-2-en-17beta-ol);
Dromostanolone (Drostanolone) (17beta-hydroxy-2alpha-methyl-5alpha-androstan-3- one);
Fluoxymesterone (9-fluoro-17alpha-methyl-11beta,17beta-dihydroxyandrost-4-en-3- one);
Formyldienolone (Formebolone) (2-formyl-17alpha-methyl-11alpha,17beta-dihydroxyandrost-1,4-dien-3-one);
Methandriol (methylandrostenediol) (17alpha-methyl-3beta,17beta-dihydroxyandrost-5-ene);
Methandrostenolone (Methandienone) (Dehydromethyltestosterone) (17alpha-methyl-17beta-hydroxyandrost-1,4-dien-3-one);
Methyldienolone (17alpha-methyl-17beta-hydroxyestra-4,9(10)-dien-3-one); Methyltrienolone (17alpha-methyl-17beta-hydroxyestra-4,9-11-trien-3-one);
17-Methyltestosterone (Methyltestosterone)(17alpha-methyl-17beta-hydroxyandrost-4-en- 3-one);
17alpha-methyl-delta1-dihydrotestosterone (17beta-hydroxy-17alpha-methyl-5alpha-androst-1-en-3-one)(17-al pha-methyl-1-testosterone);
Oxymesterone (Oxymestrone) (17alpha-methyl-4,17beta-dihydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one);
Oxymetholone (Anasterone) (17alpha-methyl-2-hydroxymethylene-17beta-hydroxy-[5alpha]-androsta n-3-one);
Stanolone (4-Dihydrotestosterone) (Dihydrotestosterone) (17beta-hydroxy-androstan-3-one);
Stanozolol (Androstanazole) (17alpha-methyl-17beta-hydroxy-[5alpha]-androst-2-eno[3,2-c]-py razole);
Testolactone (1-Dehydrotestololactone) (13-hydroxy-3-oxo-13,17-secoandrosta-1 ,4-dien-17-oic acid lactone);
Trenbolone (Trienbolone) (Trienolone) (17beta-hydroxyestr-4,9,11-trien-3-one); and
Any salt, ester, or ether of a drug or substance described or listed in this paragraph. However, such term does not include an anabolic steroid which is expressly intended for administration through implants to cattle or other nonhuman species and which has been approved by the United States Secretary of Health and Human Services for such administration. If any person prescribes, dispenses, or distributes any such steroid for human use, such person shall be considered to have prescribed, dispensed, or distributed an anabolic steroid within the meaning of this subsection.
7. Dronabinol (synthetic) in sesame oil and encapsulated in a soft gelatin capsule in a drug product approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.